Wednesday, July 14, 2010

The Other BP

Let me start by saying that this post has the potential of coming across as judgmental or catty, but I mean it more as an observation. Who am I to judge other people? I write my thoughts to about 3 people on a blog named after a TV show.

But I digress..

So, I turn on the Today Show this morning to hear that Bristol Palin and Levi Johnston have announced their engagement in US Weekly. Good for them. Then, I log onto Twitter to read the same "breaking news" from about 6 reputable news sources. (Yes, Zap2It, I'm inlcuding you in the company of NPR and CNN)
Without getting political, let me just say that I still find it hard to uncover the relevance in Mama Palin but she is at least out there in a role that a large portion of our country apparently believes is important and attempts to legitimize. (oops, I got political)

Bristol got pregnant during an important campaign. Her baby daddy posed for Playgirl. The baby is born, the magazine is out, the campaign is over. Why is their engagement breaking news? On the news websites, people commented, "Is it a publicity stunt?" "Is it really a secret from Sarah Palin?"

Who cares?

They got engaged? Great, I'm glad for them. I wish them all the best.

What's possibly most disturbing is that the media outlets are reporting this and US Weekly is excited for the exclusive because people want to hear about it. To which I must reply, reeeeeeally?

Perhaps this is an episode of Sesame Street news, brought to you by the letters B and P. "This just in. British Petroleum has NOT fixed our ocean." "Also, in breaking news, Bristol Palin is secretly engaged to her baby daddy."

It got me thinking about other "inexplicable household names." Any come to mind? If you were to categorically organize "celebrities" it would be insanely difficult. Let's see, there are actors, singers, dancers, political figures, authors, TV hosts, journalists, comedians, socialites, reality stars, mistresses, criminals, illegitimate babies, ex-boyfriends of already established celebrities, spokespersons, children of celebrities, DJs, sextuplets, club owners, etc. At the rate the "celebrity" parameters are growing, I am going to be SUPER famous really soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment