Saturday, July 17, 2010

Entrepreneurs, Fanny Packs, and Flying Marsupials

Anyone out there looking for a business idea? Here are two products needed...affordable, attractive, comfortable walking shoes and affordable fanny-pack/backpack alternatives. I'm sure these products are out there, but they're difficult to find and often times expensive. I want to go to France and not look like a futuristic, jungle-dwelling, soccer mom. Is that so wrong?


The comfortable shoes all look like they've been created by NASA or meant to be worn in a tree house. The shoes that could pass as chic are all over $100. I am looking to spend about $50 and call it a day. Any suggestions?

(um, p.s. no offense to anyone who owns the shoes to the right. They just aren't what I need. I just want to walk the streets of Paris comfortably, not climb a mountain.)

And the back packs. Oh my goodness, the backpacks. I need something that won't dislocate my shoulder at the end of day (like my current oversized purses), can carry my water bottle, phone, snacks, raincoat, etc, and doesn't look like I'm heading off for my first day of camp or Disney World in a retirement community shuttle bus.

 Any chic travelers reading who can help a sister out?

Ambitious people, there's a market out there. Jump on it.

 And, while we're discussing product development, I'd like to mention a new (to me...apparently it's been "trusted for 16 years") business I saw today at the mall while searching for the aforementioned products.

It is called...."Pocket Pets"


Pocket Pets are "Sugar Glider" marsupials that you can purchase at a kiosk adjacent to J.Crew and the display Range Rovers. I'm serious. I stood there, eating my frozen yogurt, and watching Jack Hanna lookalikes play with these small chipmunk-squirrel looking things. I suppose they were kind of cute and probably a good alternative to a stinky hamster. But dude, who goes to the mall for some J.Crew chinos and comes out with a flying gliding marsupial? I guess a lot of people if they've been around for 16 years.

 The thing I can't get over? They have trademarked these bad boys! I suppose they've just trademarked the name "Pocket Pets" but, seriously, how do you do that? I think I might submit the paperwork for this great new pet called, "Man's Best Friend."

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for posting this info. I just want to let you know that I just check out your site and I find it very interesting and informative. I can't wait to read lots of your posts.
    mens fanny pack

    ReplyDelete