Sunday, May 8, 2011

Inspired Ideas...And By, "Inspired" I Mean, "Stolen."

I often talk about how much I admire other blogs and, of course, there's my addiction to magazines, design sites, and cookbooks. Occasionally, I actually act on the inspiring ideas I tell you about. Here are a few examples.

**Keep in mind, if you can't tell with your own eyes, my photography skills are not up to the level I wish they were. It's a basic camera with a flash and a bunch of settings I don't understand. One day, I strive to have beautiful photos that engage the imagination and are the envy of every young rando blog on the block. 'Til then, this is what you get. ** 

1. Nice Rack

This idea was stolen directly from the uber-chic Emily of Cupcakes and Cashmere. She uses a clothing rack to help inspire her wardrobe and bring attention to at-the-moment favorites. That all sounds great but, for me, it also serves a highly functional  purpose for my so-small-you-could-miss-it closet.
 The vast majority of my clothes need to be hung, but there is just not room. Now, thanks to Ikea, I can showcase some favorites while making still room for my poor, cramped closet.


(Currently, I'm into bright, vibrant colors with gray serving as a neutral base)
2. I Can See Clearly Now...My Food Is Here **UGH, that is a painful title. I couldn't think of anything. I tried to play off the word "jar" but got nothin'**

Have I made 1 single recipe from this book? No. But Amy Pennington's thoughts in Urban Pantry on organizing the kitchen and creating a more sustainable space did move me to de-clutter my pantry and create a cleaner, more appetizing environment, thanks to glass jars from Ikea and Michael's.


3. A Litte Bit of Sparkle
My decorating budget is, like my closet, very small. But, the space above my bed was bare and making me CRAZY. Then, one fateful day, again, in Michael's, I came across the Martha Stewart Wedding Decorations section. Don't ask me why I was in the do-it-yourself wedding section. It was rainy, I was killing time. You never know when you may need to help a friend throw together a shot-gun wedding...it's good to know options. Nonetheless, I saw THESE sparkly garlands by Martha Stewart and was reminded of this  idea, which also came from Cupcakes and Cashmere. The result was simple, subtle, but definitely added some pizazz to a previously boring space. (Trust me, it looks much better in real life).


4. Just When You Thought Brunch Couldn't Get Better
Who needs matching china patterns? If you ask me, the more eclectic, the better. Now, don't go all super craze so that your table looks schizophrenic, but I love a mixture of bright colors, patterns, and shapes. Every time I open an Anthropologie catalog, I'm inspired by their tablesettings...so cheerful and effortless. Thanks to multi-color bowls from Anthropolgie, dessert plates from West Elm, colorful spoons from Paris (which apparently you can also get at Anthropologie now), and fun-shaped water goblets from Crate&Barrel, I attempted to create an eclectic table for Mother's Day brunch.



Shoot, if I had 1 more "inspired idea" then this could've just been a "Five Things I'm Loving Right Now" post. Oh well, I guess I haven't been as inspired as I thought.

1 comment: