Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Move Over, Julia Child...You're Blocking My Microwave.

I said I would get back to you on my recent cooking endeavors. So here it is. I decided that I would try to "cook" at least one recipe a week. It's not that I'm stuck in a rut of take-out and frozen dinners, but I never really "make" anything that requires trying new things, mixing ingredients, or following instructions. Ex: If I have green beans then I make green beans. If I have pasta, then I make pasta...maybe I'll add a little olive oil and spinach. I would never take those green beans and mix them with other ingredients to create a "dish."

My menus are simple. I try to make healthy foods, but they're boring healthy foods. I like things I can microwave, but not "microwaveable dinners." Ex: A sweet potato, "Steam-in-the-bag" veggies, leftovers from my mom.  My mom is an incredible cook. Maybe that's why I'm not. I never had to be. Although, I suspect that the gene has skipped a generation. But, I'm trying to change that.

Unfortunately, things aren't going so well. I either bake it too long, add too much salt, or don't follow a direction correctly. But, I'm not ready to give up quite yet. I'll keep you posted.


In the meantime, here's the basic recap. My recipes are currently defeating me.


Cucumber/Avocado Soup: 1    ............................    Lindsay: 0

Mustard Glazed Roasted Potatoes: 1 ...................    Lindsay: 0

Arugula/Spinach Soup: 0 ......................................   Lindsay: 1 (YAY! GO ME!)

Potato Leek Soup: 1 ............................................   Lindsay: 0 (I really like soup)

Eggplant Parmesan: 1 ...........................................   Lindsay: 1
(I suspect I might have made this one correctly, it just wasn't a good recipe. Jury is still out)


Tonight's match up? Lindsay vs the  Spicy Squash Salad with Goat Cheese. (I think this may be a little over-ambitious given my track record.)

I'm open to any easy, delicious vegetarian recipes you may have! (I'm not actually a vegetarian. I just don't like cooking meat. It freaks me out.)

No comments:

Post a Comment